MyCrossword Forum
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Comment etiquette

Marksman
 Marksman
(@Marksman)
Topic starter  

Hi all.  New commenter on here though used to fifteensquared.  As it's early days for this site, has there been any debate as to how to represent solutions in posts?  Fifteensquared uses capitals, Big Dave for the Telegraph uses clue numbers.  I find it considerably less satisfying to read posts with clue numbers as I'm having to constantly scroll up and down to the puzzle and back.  Further, when the words are spelled out, it makes both individual comments and discussions about solutions/themes etc far more legible.  If a post is complimenting a setter on a construction or pointing out an observation or an interpretation, that's much more pleasant to read when the word in question is there in the comment.  As far as I can see, there are no published guidelines and the clue number convention simply seems to have been adopted from comment 1 on crossword 1.  Clearly, if there's a strong preference for that approach, I'll follow the format but it seemed worth raising.

QuoteUnsolved
Raider
(@raider)
Member Admin

Hi Marksman, welcome to the site. You make a good point, I don't think anyone has raised this question yet. As you say, the convention that has generally been adopted is to use numbers. I think the main motivation behind the approach is to prevent spoilers but I completely agree, scrolling up and down is less than ideal. Perhaps I could add some functionality to show a number's solution when hovering over one? Granted that doesn't work while on mobile devices. Alternatively, I'm happy to publish some guidelines if there's a consensus.

What do other people think?

ReplyQuote
David
(@maidenbartok)
Member Admin

You could always move the conversation to a thread here if you wanted?

There even a special "Spoiler" button in the forum (although I have to say I've never used it and wouldn't have a clue how it worked).

Actually, let me try;

Spoiler
My name is
David

Wonder what that looks like?

ReplyQuote
Conto
 Conto
(@Conto)

I know this is stating the obvious but I still think it’s worth stating that this site is different to 225 and Big Dave in that this is the original source of puzzles whereas the other two are blogs about puzzles found elsewhere. For 225 and Big Dave there is less concern about spoilers because they exist to reveal the answers and parsings. This explains the differing etiquette between, say, the guardian website where the puzzle is housed and 225 where the parsing is discussed. To my mind this website is closer in function to the guardian website so perhaps the etiquette should be similar to that rather than 225.

Raider liked
ReplyQuote
Raider
(@raider)
Member Admin

David liked
ReplyQuote
Conto
 Conto
(@Conto)

@raider Brilliant!

David liked
ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.