MyCrossword Forum
Notifications
Clear all

Hidden clues

MADCAP
 MADCAP
(@MADCAP)
Topic starter  

5D in Crossword 40 reads "Tottenham Hotspur pleas for penalty contain a shade of anger   (6)". You solve this without using all of the words. My view is that some extra words are acceptable in a hidden solution in order to distract and make the surface read better. However, I don't think superfluous words are at all acceptable in other types of clues though. I would be interested in what other setters think about this issue.

QuoteSolved
Skirwingle
(@skirwingle)

I think most manuals & guides for setters discourage additional words in "hidden"-type clues. Certainly Macnutt, in Ximenes on the Art of the Crossword, says:

...redundant words in the hiding-place – mere window-dressing – are inartistic, if not unfair; no word other than an article should occur in the hiding place that does not contain at least one letter of the required word.

Raider liked
ReplyQuote
Madcap
 Madcap
(@Madcap)

Thanks, skirwingle. That seems pretty definitive. I'd formed my view based on solving many crosswords where such clues did seem to include additional words but I'm not going to argue with 'the bible'!

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.