MyCrossword Forum
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Editing comments?

Laccaria
(@laccaria)
Topic starter  

Any chance we could have this function?  I mean the comments below puzzles, not the comments on this forum.

I wanted to correct a typo in a recent comment: since there's no Edit function I had to copy, delete and re-post.  But this leaves a stub in place of the deleted post.  Perhaps we don't need the stub when there have been no replies?

Raider
(@raider)
Member Admin

This is on my to-do list. The way other applications handle this, eg Slack, is to allow edits for a certain period of time, say one hour. I think this would work well but there are some technical hurdles to overcome (like client-side validation when the user's machine clock and the database clock don't align).

With regards to the delete function, leaving a stub was the path of least resistance when coding it initially. There are a couple of things to consider, voting records could exist (although these could be ditched without any trouble) and that another user could be mid-reply when the comment is deleted, subsequently orphaning the new reply. Granted all of this could be handled in some way but it's not as straightforward as I'd like.

ReplyQuote
Raider
(@raider)
Member Admin

This has been completed. You can now edit comments within one hour of their creation.

ReplyQuote
Laccaria
(@laccaria)
Topic starter  

Thanks Raider (belatedly)

ReplyQuote
Share:

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.